Friday, November 28, 2014

Mamma's Book Review: His Dark Materials, Phillip Pullman

Book 1 of the His Dark Materials trilogy, The Golden Compass 

by Phillip Pullman

"Lyra Belaqua is content to run wild among the scholars of Jordan College with her daemon familiar always by her side. But the arrival of her fearsome uncle, Lord Asriel, draws her to the heart of a deadly struggle--a struggle born of Gobblers and stolen children, witch clans and armored bears. And as she hurtles toward dangers in the cold far North, young Lyra never suspects the shocking truth: she alone is destined to win, or to lose, this more-than-mortal battle."
~from the back cover of The Golden Compass



I was first introduced to this series over the radio. The program was done just after the His Dark Materials series was completed and the final book released to the public. A priest had read the novel and was shocked by the author's "treachery against God and the Church". He was calling for the author's excommunication. All of this excitation of course lead me to want to read the series to see for myself what the controversy was over. On my way home I stopped in and bought a copy and let me tell you, reading this series became my reward for finishing my university homework each night. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this series. There was just enough adventure and excitement to keep me moving through the pages. Of course, the author does explore conventional religion, so if you are sensitive about religious issues keep your mind open. If you're working through a crisis of faith these novels might help you to explore your questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment